1662 - Pickering of Thelwall

"Walk along Weaste Lane until you see a stile and a footpath sign on the left. It is opposite an attractive white house fronted by a high beech hedge. Follow the tractor track across the field which eventually becomes a single file path and takes you over the Bridgewater Canal. This is Pickering Bridge and is named after a family who came to the area in 1662."

“The Pickering family, who were next in the possession of the manor of Thelwall, were of a very ancient descent in the county of Chester, and appear to have been, from time immormial, landed proprietors in the palatinate. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth they were settled at Walford, in the parish of Runcron, which had long been the seat of their ancestors, and the names of the members of the family for successive generations will be found in the early registers of Daresbury.”

The pedigree at the Herald’s College lists “Pickering de Walford” which was the name of the estate within the chapelry of Daresbury.

Robert attained considerable eminence in his profession, and was several times elected as Reader of the Society. In 1651 he purchased, for £5,190, amongst other premises, all that capital mansion-house called Crowley Lodge in Crowley, within a certain place called Northwood Park (formerly a part owned by the Crown), in the parish of Great Budworth, Cheshire with about 150 acres. In consequence of this purchase, he was removed of his seat at Walford, home of his ancestors, and continued to make Crowley Lodge his home until he bought Thelwall. His name appears on the Roll of Knights and Esquires in Cheshire in 1650.

The purchase of all the lands and buildings are listed in detail in the “Typographer and Genealogy”. Robert’s brothers, Thomas of Chester, and Peter of London, along with Thomas Cheshire of Halton, were also involved in the purchase of Thelwall. The deed was signed in the presence of their brother, John in 1664.

In addition to Thelwall, Robert owned the greater part of Hatton in Cheshire, including the manor-house called Quietsy Biches, the ancient seat of the Hattons, which he purchased about 1850. In Sir Peter Leycester’s history of the county in 1666, writes “At this day Robert Pickering of Thelwall, Esq. is lord of the greatest part of Hatton; and in the adjoining township of Moor.”

The History of Cheshire.

Robert Pickering SHIELD: Erm. A lion ramp. Az crowned or within a bordure of the second charged with eight plates PICKERING, Wallford, co. Chester
CREST: Pickering, [Wallford, Ches.] A lion’s gamb, erect and erased, az. Enfiled with a ducal cornet or.

Pickering Arms Thelwall
Thelwall Village Center

Pickering Arms

Pickering Arms, Thelwall in the early 1900s.